We've had Lab puppy fatalities in the past when we've allowed potential customers to visit before the pups had their first vaccinations at 6 to 6 1/2 weeks of age. We've learned later that people had stopped at other kennels before they visited us here at Moonlighter Labradors. They then get contamination on their shoes or clothes. which they carry and bring into our kennel. Parvo for example, is 100% fatal to unvaccinated puppies.
We've asked our DVM's what to do - they've said "no more full kennel tours, and no more puppy visits until all pups have had their first 6 to 6 1/2 week vaccinations."
OUR CURRENT PUPPY VISITING POLICY
We realize that our customers want to see the parents and their puppies. What
we do to try if practical:
1. We will allow you to "meet the parents" on our patio deck. Our kennel is
~250 feet behind our home. You can view our kennel from there.
2. After the puppies are born, we will take a set of digital camera pictures once per
once per week and e-mail pics to everyone who has made a $200.00 deposit to secure their picking order on a specific litter.
3. If you have any questions, most certainly please e-mail us email@example.com. Both Kim and I work full time M-F, but we will communicate back to you as soon as time permits.
4. The State of Wisconsin mandates we must keep all puppies a minimum of 7 weeks. Now we're advising people (especially with the higher prices for gasoline and distances) why not make one trip with your family when you can view the whole litter and parents. You make your puppy selection with all family members, and complete all AKC and State of Wisconsin paperwork, and you're headed home the same day with your "new puppy" (Paperwork takes ~30 to 45 minutes per puppy to complete)
5. If you wish Rick to also Home Again Microchip your puppy, he will also do the micro-chipping for you at this time.