We've had Lab puppy fatalities in the past when we've allowed potential customers to visit our pups before they've had their first vaccinations at 6 to 6 1/2 weeks of age. We learned later, people stop at other kennels before they visit us here at Moonlighter Labradors. They get contamination on their shoes or clothes. When they visit, they bring contamination into our kennel. Parvo for example, is 100% fatal to unvaccinated puppies.
We've asked our DVM's what to do - they've said "no more full kennel tours, and no more puppy visits until all pups have had their first 6 to 6 1/2 week vaccinations."
OUR CURRENT PUPPY VISITING POLICY
We realize that our customers want to see the parents and their puppies. What
we do to try if practical:
1. Time permitting, we may allow you to "meet the parents" on our patio deck.
Our kennel is ~250 feet behind our home. You can view our kennel from there.
2. After puppies are born, we begin taking digital camera pictures every two weeks.
We e-mail pics to everyone who has made a $200.00 deposit to secure their picking order on a specific litter.
3. If you have questions, please e-mail us firstname.lastname@example.org. We both work full time M-F. We will communicate back to you as soon as time permits.
4. The State of Wisconsin mandates we must keep all puppies a minimum of 7 weeks. Now we're advising people (especially with the higher prices for gasoline and distances) why not make one trip with your family when you can view the whole litter and parents. You make your puppy selection with all family members, complete all AKC paperwork, and you're headed home the same day with your "new puppy" (Paperwork takes ~30 to 45 minutes per puppy to complete)
5. If you wish Rick to also Home Again Microchip your puppy, he will also do the micro-chipping for you when finalizing all paperwork when you pickup your pup.